Friday, November 20, 2009

Ragnar, Vegas Style

You and 11 of your closest friends running day and night, relay-style, through some of the most scenic terrain North America could muster. Add in live bands, inside jokes and a mild case of sleep deprivation. The result? Some call it a slumber party without sleep, pillows or deodorant. We call it a Ragnar Relay..

Yeah if you were wondering what Ragnar is, that pretty much sums it all up!

I have always wanted to run the Wasatch Back but have never been able to get organized enough to start a team or join a team for that matter. Plus it sells out every year if you can imagine (yes crazy people actually pay to run!). It wasn't until my sister-in-law Wendy approached me about running. I was excited for the chance but even more so when I found out that it would be in Vegas! Yup, her team needed one more person and I was more than happy to oblidge.

Some of the highlights included:

Getting to go to Vegas with Steve, Katy, Wendy and Chris

Exchanges, when you were not running!!!

Scenery...

Exchanges, when you were not running!

Being a part of team "Winner Winner Chicken Dinner"

Getting to run through places like the valley of fire and Lake Mead

Getting to know my team mates more when the other van was running. From Left: Jackie, Chelsea, Misty, Lucas and my SIL Wendy. We laughed so hard talking about the most random stuff like tatoos. Chelsea had some cool ones. She was into quotes and sayings. The ones I liked the best were "be yourself by yourself" and "love never fails". All Lucas could say about his sun around his belly button was "I was 16!!!" Ha, I think Wendy and I were the only ones not to have some "ink." Are you surprised?!? I dont even have my ears pierced!!!

Wendy getting ready to run her night run. I love this picture! Look how excited she is!

We ended at the Redrock Hotel in Vegas. So nice! The tub and toilet both had their own TV's. We got two rooms as a team. We showered there but didnt stay. Cant imagine that Katy would sleep too well with so much going on.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

I really had such a blast! Especially since I could spend the time hanging out with Wendy. She was always there waiting at the end of my runs with water, a banana and ibuprofen. I think I got off easy with only about 11 total miles to run, but I must admit that my first run was the hardest. It was about 85+ degrees and I felt like I was going to pass out! I am sure Wendy will agree that we should plan a better dinner next time. We bought a pasta plate at a van exchange that was...well not the best!
I think we will also bring our sleeping bags and pillows which we forgot back in the room. Somehow I think that my pillow would have worked better than my duffle bad did!!!

On a more serious note, one of the runners was hit by a drunk driver and killed. As you can imagine no one was expecting this. It was such a sobering moment. I just want to say that it really made me realize how lucky I am to have Wendy in my life. I started to think if something happened to her...I'm not sure what I would do. I don't think that life would be quite the same. So Wendy, I think you are great...and I love you a lot! Thanks for all you do!

4 comments:

Ken and Jos said...

Way to go!! So jealous... hope to do that soon.

Wendy Olson said...

You are too nice!! I definately could not survive without you. I am so glad we got to run together. I thought I was going to die most of the time, but the other times were awesome!!!!!! Can't wait for Thursday!!! Good thing it is only 3 miles in the freezing cold!

Wendy Olson said...

By the way, that picture of me looking so excited, I can't imagine how you got that, because I was not feeling that excited!!!! I guess that means I am really good at pretending!

Kerry said...

Good on you! Looks like lots of fun!