Saturday, December 11, 2010

Griswold Christmas Hunt

I'm imagining a few quotes coming out of this trip once we get our tree up:

"Is your house on fire, Clark?"
"No, Aunt Bethany, those are the Christmas lights."

AND

"Hey Griswold. Where do you think you're gonna put a tree that big?"
"Bend over and I'll show you."

Both very memorable quotes from a classic, Christmas Vacation. I can imagine that people will both think our tree is on fire it will have so many lights and that it's just too BIG! That is how you get the holiday season started off with a bang.....a Griswold Christmas Vacation (day trip) to get a tree.

The first year we were married we got back from our honeymoon I think on the 23rd?, maybe even Christmas Eve so we of course did not have tree that year. The following year Steve and I invited ourselves to go with the Amundsen's (Steve's neighbors and very good friends growing up). Let me tell you it was a BLAST! We decided to keep up the tradition and we have gone back every year. Some years we go by ourselves, we've had our friends Rachel and Davis come once and Roger and Joanne a few times. One year we even had to tow back the Tacoma (thank you Roger's AAA) when the clutch went out. In fact we even went when Katy was less than a month old! I cut a tree down in the comfort of the warm car that year....and pointed to one that Steve could get! So you never quite know what might happen.

This year was no exception. We were joined by most of Steve's family....minus Heidi's and her broken leg. More about that in another post.

Griswoldism #1: Getting stuck in the snow. Katy rode up with Roger, Joanne, RaNae and Ken so Carter joined us. We were almost sideways before we knew what had happened. We weren't going anywhere but Carter was convinced that we would, in fact, roll over! He was out of there lickity split :) Steve was more than happy to finally get to use his Birthday present....the winch! Worked like a charm, but I like to think it was my driving that did the trick.

Doesn't look as bad as it felt inside. We were really sideways there! Steve's proud moment. I secretly think that he may have done that on purpose.

Griswoldism #2: Having your kid look like Randy from Christmas Story, my favorite holiday classic. I knew we were going and I knew that Katy needed snow pants and boots, but somehow time got away from me and I found myself the day of without....good thing Robyn brought some extras! The boots were a bit big but they did the trick! Anyone else having a flash back of Randy on Christmas Story getting ready for school? I think Katy is a dead ringer! Love it!

So as you can see we are living up the the Griswold hype so far, right....there's more!

Had to snap a pic of Roger and the grandkidos! Ha, look how happy they look. It's amazing how cutting down a tree can make you so happy!

Griswoldism #3: Going anywhere in the snow with the Olson's. I do believe they think we live on an island where it never snows. Case and point...this is what Wendy decided to wear! Needless to say she spent most of the time in the car trying to de thaw those toeseys!

Griswoldism #4: Not having your chain saw work to cut your tree down. Good thing that BIL Steve was at the helm. He had that thing down in no time! Oh and I think he should join forces with the Olson's because he decided to wear shorts! Ha, nothin' but love Steve!

RaNae and Ken didn't need a tree, but opted to come along for the adventure aspect. Which I think was defiantly delivered!

Robs and Hayden.

Jordyn making a snow angle. Love it Jord!

Oh my goodness, could I take a bad picture of this kid? Grayden is the cutest!

Hangin' out on the trailer. Katy seriously was having the time of her life, if you'll notice in all of her pictures!

The mighty triumphant Steve with his "kill", what a beaut....Steve I mean!

Team Beardshall with our cute little tree. I don't know if you can tell here or not but Chuck got SO much SNOW caked in his coat! I keep thinking that he will be too cold if I cut his hair but I am seriously contemplating one of those sweaters for him to wear after they shave him. He looks like this after every snowstorm!

I had just picked her up from falling over in the snow....."Ralphy, I can't get up, I can't get up!"

I LOVE this girl!

Katy, Ken and NaeNae.

Grandma and Katy.

The cute Dahl family.

Team Steve here.

Ha, this picture is one of my favorite from the trips. So cute.

The Olson's found there perfect tree too, even though it wasn't a palm tree :)

We started throwing snow balls and Hayden. He was making us laugh so hard....

we had to throw some at Katy too. And then she made us laugh too.

I do think in the end that the chain saw ended up working, I'm sure thanks to Roger!


And Chris topped everything off by doing a face plant in the snow. You gotta love that for sure!


This little fella bid us adu on our way home.
Griswoldism #5: Having to take your tree through the car wash on the way home! Because it had snowed the dirt road on the way in it was mud city. Roger thought this one up, and I have to give it to him...we had a shiny new tree afterwards. All in all it was a great Griswold trip as usual!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

"I can't put my arms down!!"
that is my favorite show ever.

and let me tell you how many times I hear "bend over and I'll show ya" from Jord...and not just at christmas.

The Hardy's said...

That looks like a totally fun Beardshall adventure! Love Wendy in her shoes. But the best one has got to be taking the trees through the car wash! AWESOME!