Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Phillip

How's it going guys? Wow this is a lot harder than I thought. It's funny I was reading the comments and Sheena reminded me that I may think it's hard now but that my world will be turned upside down in March when those delicious bites of sugar inducing coma come out...the Cadbury Egg!!!!! Not the little ones in the bag but the biggies with the yummy goo in the middle, yup those ones! Wow I am ashamed to actually be saying this but I think if I were guessing (and I am probably not giving myself enough credit) I probably ate about 80!!!! of those last year! What??? It probably didn't help when Steve got me a case of 48 for Valentines day!

The funny thing is I really do struggle with treats. I was talking with some friends of mine about my new years resolutions today and we got on the subject of my *egg* obsession. They said that I am totally Phillip from the Saturday Night Live skit. Do you remember this one?

Click here to see the full video. In it, Mike Myers is hypoglycemic and hyperactive, a hyper hypo! Here is my favorite line:
"One time....my moms car ran out of gas. So she gave me a Snickers bar and a can of Coke. I towed the car home. 7 miles. When we got home I was tired!!!"
I think when I am done with this little venture I may be tired from not eating candy! Today was hard but we made it through.

I figure I wouldn't have to work out so hard next year if I eat a little better. Ok for the amount of running I did you would think that I would be ripped! Nope still have the muffin top, thanks to the eggs (wiping the drool)....

Speaking of running here is a little update on that whole situation. Remember when I ran the Halloween half marathon and I totally jacked up my knees? Yeah....I am just barley starting to run again. Wow I am really out of shape. It's amazing what 2 months will do to ya!
Any who, I seriously tried to run several times. Every time I was feeling better I would go run 5 miles and I would be right back where I started. I finally listened to Steve and made myself an appt with an orthopedic doctor.
They ran the whole gammet on my knee and concluded that I just had a severe case of runners knee. I was so relieved because I thought I was going to have to have surgery with everything that I was reading. *Steve always says I am so dramatic when it comes to medical stuff. But hey when I thought having a baby was going to be like a 12 on the pain scale and it was more like a 6, or like with my knee I was convinced that I was having surgery and I just needed to go to PT....it makes everything better to expect the worse in regards to medical stuff!*
I was referred to an AWESOME physical therapist Joel Nuttal over at TOSH. He really helped me a ton and geared some exercises for me. He also said with the amount of miles I am running that I am going to have to replace my shoes about every 3 months. He had me run on the treadmill. Actually I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I actually have a fairly decent running form when I run above 9 minutes a mile, anything below that I get a bit lazy and don't pick up my feet in the back which can lead to knee problems. Oops, I have been running a bit slower lately about 10-11 minute miles for more distance.

But hey I had a pretty good year. I ran....

Salt Lake Running Company 5 K
My Stake 5 K
the Halloween half marathon.

I guess you can tell by my torn and tattered shoes I wore all year long!

Since we are talking about new years resolutions and I am sure that getting in shape or being more healthy is a goal that will be pretty common....here are some things to remember if you want to run, or start a running program:
1) If you find a brand of shoes that you like it doesn't really matter how much you spend on them. Per the PT I saw said going and having a store analyze how you run and then buy 100+ dollar shoes doesn't make a difference. I would say that myself and a good chunk of runners I know like Acsics. I got my new pair on sale at the Sports Chalet in West Jordan for $35.00 and they are awesome!
2) Start small. If you can only run for 10 minutes, great. Just increase that 10% every week until you are where you want to be....so the next week run for 11 minutes.
3) Per my PT it is better to run a short distance at a faster pace than a longer distance at a slower pace. He said that even for beginner runners he doesn't like to have women run slower than 9 minutes per mile and guys about 8:30 minute mile. That is pretty fast for me even so if you can't keep that pace just walk more inbetween.
4) Have fun!

Like I said I think I am going to take it easier this year in regards to racing, but that would be a great place to start. Sign up for a 5 K so you have a goal.
So we are now on Day 3. Honestly, it's harder than I thought it would be but we are still going strong! Keep up the good work....

What? This is harder than I thought?
You may start fighting against it...you may start rationalizing & saying:
Ahh..I don't have time for this.
or
I just can't do this.

If you have felt that...or even fallen off the wagon...it's not the first time someone has at day three.
Don't worry.
Pick yourself back up. Dust yourself off. & recommit!
FIGHT FOR IT. NOT AGAINST IT.

You've got to fight for it....If you don't, who will? It comes from inside you.
Deep down. And YOU are the one choosing to make the change.

Remember YOU are the one choosing to make the change. I am the one that can resist eating 80 Cadbury eggs, and only have one or two on my free days!!!! Fingers crossed, we'll cross that bridge when we get there!

See ya tomorrow.....

4 comments:

melynda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
melynda said...

ok i am going to admit, i kinda still want to do the winter series 30k. i think it sounds kinda fun. and i even read about how you hated it, am i crazy? plus i need to train for the tri.

and yes you totally can go get those drapes. they are at target, and they have a matching valance that samatha has. way cute.

Ellingson's said...

we miss working out with you Amy! I know for sure we won't be doing it on Saturday; but most Saturday's we do it. We've been doing it everyday but Wednesday. So if you'd like to join just text! You're always welcome! Good luck with your resolutions! YOU CAN DO IT! And I LOVE that SNL!

Angela said...

I think you are my new BFF! :) (even though I don't know you!) I love reading your blog and looking at your adorable pics, awesome photography! Don't worry, I am not a pshyco blog stalker and you don't need to password protect your blog! Elaine and Rob Beardshall are my aunt and uncle! Anyways, this is getting long....but when I read about your egg obsession I had to laugh and smile and I feel so darn good knowing I am not the only one that has no.self.control over those darn gooey golden eggs. They will be the death of me I just know it!And yes my family has bought me an entire case of them before too and I think I shared just a couple! I buy them secretly because I am so ashamed. So I was at Smith's marketplace in west jordan the day after Chritmas and they had a big free standing case of caramel cadberry eggs. SERIOUSLY? yes, seriously! the day after Christmas! I about died! I could not believe my very eyes. And there is no telling how many I bought and have since boughten and consumed! shhhhh! Let's just say I had until January 1st to eat as many as I could before I had to start on my New Year's Resolution! I will not eat another one until Easter! I will not eat another one until Easter! I will not eat another one until Easter!