Saturday, May 22, 2010

Martha Stewart

You know you are getting to be a more mature woman when your definition of fun is a sweing day! Ha.....okay so we have been having sewing days since the first of the year about, thank to Angela who is our resident Martha Stewart!!! Usually they alternate between Wednesdays and Fridays during the day, but we opted to do this months sewing day last Friday night, so we could all come.

We are getting pretty excited that Marin and Jane are coming back (Jane I hear you are pretty impressive with the sewing machine too, by the way). But we are totally bummed that Emilee will be leaving our presence! They're moving back east for a great job opportunity. Oh how we will miss you....so we have to soak up all your yummy goodness while we can!

Rachel was working on a skirt.... Can we say good lookin? Yes!

Angela was working on the cutest capes for her niece and nephew. Can we say superhero? Yeah!

Emily worked on some CUTE argyle shirts for her boys. I think they look great, but this picture was taken after an outburst of "Shizballs" from Emily! Like I said all was well after all, they were super cute!

Michelley was working on cute cute burp rags and a car seat canopy, sorry I didn't get a great picture of that, way cute material!

Not that we planned it but yummy treats appeared! Can I just emphasize the YUMMY part!!!

Yup, we know how to have a good time for sure!

I opted to make a strap for my camera. I was feelin' in the mood for something easy to do. I know a lot of you out in blog land have cameras. This is a fun and simple way to "dress" up your straps. They slide on so you can take them off if you want to change them.

1. Make a pattern. I just used simple white paper. Fold your strap in half and allow about 1/4" to 1/2" seam allowance. Cut out your pattern.

2. Now line that pattern up on the fold of your material and cut. You can use the same material, or you can choose two coordinating fabrics.

3. Unfold your material and sew up the one side. Remember to put your material right sides together. You can pin if you want....I'm just lazy!!!

4. Ta Da. Now this next step is optional. I added fleece interfacing to my strap. I think it makes them look nicer, and let me tell you....they are way more comfortable!

5. Put the interfacing on the wrong side of the fabric and iron on. Make sure the iron is really hot! Does my hand look weird to anyone else here? Maybe I just have weird lookin hands!

6. Cut off any extra....

7. Now fold down about a half inch to an inch....you may want to hold it up to your strap and see how much extra you have to work with. Sew now....I sewed across three times for a little extra something.

8. Ta da.....

9. Now fold in half....right sides together and sew up the other side. You may want to just sew a little but and make sure it fits your strap first. That way if you need to make adjustments you can before you have to pick apart the whole side!

10. Pull up a couch and fold that puppy inside out!!!! I hear a wooden spoon helps here, but I didn't find that to be so. Just some good old elbow grease an patience!

11. Almost done.....forever later!!! Patience people, patience!

12. Shimmy that puppy up your strap! Here is the one I made sewing night. PS the other one is for you Brit.....surprise!

13. Strike a pose and enjoy your strap!!!!

I am not sure what will be up for next month sewing day but stay tuned!!!!

2 comments:

Britney said...

Yay!!! Thanks Meems! Fabulous tutorial, love the end picture.

How fun to do that with your friends. :)

Lance and Em said...

You had to include the Shizballs comment! Ha... I had a great time with you guy!