Monday, March 21, 2011

3 Years Ago

3 years ago today I was working at the University of Utah hospital. I was informed that my SIL Robyn was having her baby. How convenient! Because Hayden didn't make an appearance until later that afternoon I went to visit them on my way home. I remember holding him thinking how cool it is that people get to have babies.....but felt a bit sick to my stomach when I heard Robyn recall her horrendous ordeal getting him here.

Aside from getting several epidurals (that didn't work by the way), she had to have a c-section in the end and pretty much felt everything! Remember how I don't even have my ears pierced? Well you can imagine that I was wincing at the mere fact that she had to have SEVERAL epidurals and that thought of them sewing her up too, it was a bit much to say the least! Did I mention that she had several epidurals! ?!

I went home that night and informed Steve that I had a sinking feeling that I was prego! Mind you, we had been trying for a few months. Actually that is a pretty funny story in and of itself. We always joked that we were on a 5 year plan for kids, we'd have kids when we were married for 5 years. I remember waking up one morning at the first of Jan and telling Steve that I felt that I was good to have kids anytime he was ready. He thought a minute and then told me that he thought he may need a few more months. I really thought nothing of it and said that was fine by me. Well he came to me the very next day and said "let's do it". I guess he was ready too because he was pretty excited when he told me! Ha....so that was the plan.
Please don't get me wrong when I say I had a sinking feeling that I was pregnant because we were over the moon when we found out that we were having a baby.....but it was not the best day to hear that news. I mean really.....Robyn had a horrible experience! I was not scared to have a child, but I was scared to HAVE a child...physically! I walked down the stairs with that positive pregnancy test and was pretty much at a loss for words. I was so happy but felt SO scared at the same time! So HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAYDEN, may your birthday always be a reminder of when I found out I was having Katy....and I am happy to report that I had a much better experience :) We had Katy one month shy of being married 5 years, my epidural took and I hardly felt a thing.

We had a pretty great week/weekend. Steve left Wednesday afternoon for a boys weekend in Vegas with some of his work buddies. Katy and I made the most of the time. Here are some of the things we did....

For St. Patricks day we had scrambled eggs with cheese, and potatoes. Steve is not a big fan of breakfast foods so I thought I'd take advantage of that. I had a hard time with the fact that they were green, even though they tasted great! Katy loved them.

We even died our apple juice. Katy loved the gold coins more though. I think I picked these up a while ago in the dollar bins at Target.

Katy and I spend at least a half hour every night reading books. Friday night I told her to get some books out while I did something. When I came back she had a HUGE pile of books on her bed. We usually only read 3 or 4 so we had to put some back!

Just part of the pile!!!!!

Steve was planning on coming home on Saturday some time. They ended up coming home later than I expected about 9:30. Before we went to bed Katy and I painted her nails pink. She loves to paint her nails. She's always good about sitting still but had an itch on her forehead and had to get it. She got nail polish everywhere! I didn't think it was a big deal to get it off with nail polish remover, except I was all out! I had to use my bottle a few months ago when she dumped a thing of purple nail polish all over my bedroom carpet! I had to wait until Steve got home and we had to hit up the Walmart to get some!
We played "cars" with her diaper box. Yes she is still in diapers. She will go pee anytime you ask her to but she never asks to go herself. And she refuses to go "poop on the potty". And to be honest I don't really want to force her to go. I guess she'll go when she is ready. You can believe that I will push the issue more in May when she is 2 and a half!

Don't worry we got the nail polish off before church...and she had beautiful nails too. I guess a girls got to work for her beauty sometimes!

Oh and if you can even believe it Katy and I went to Tangled again in the dollar theater....her 4th time! I am seriously buying that this month. I am going to keep it by the TV and tell her if she wants to watch it she needs to go poop! Hey, a little encouraging never hurt anyone! :)

5 comments:

Tyanna said...

I love reading your blog posts about Katy and seeing the pics of her cause she reminds me of my little gal sometimes. Sen has those same piggy pj's, loves getting her nails painted, and seems to be in the EXACT same place as far as potty training goes! Only Katy is lucky cause she has a REALLY fun Mom that makes green food for St. Patty's day ( :

Britney said...

I haven't heard that story about you finding out you were pregnant. The 'let's do it' comment made me laugh! My niece is so cute!

The Duncans said...

HA ha, I thought the whole time I was reading that you were going to say that you were pregnant again! You tricked me. :) We should get the kids together again soon.

Rob Dog said...

Oh man, what a day for both of us hu!!! I was thinking about that last night, thinking how happy I was that night in the hospital to have had that day behind me. guess you got to think about having that day 9 months ahead! :) maybe one day we will both get the guts to do it again! :) Maybe you first this time! :) jk!
Katy is just to stinking cute!! Love the nail polish ob her face!

Campbell Clan said...

Cute story about the day you found out you were pregnant. I love the picture of Katy holding up the coin. She is so adorable!