Saturday, March 5, 2011

Grandma Ida

Grandma Ida. What can I say about Grandma Ida? She is pretty amazing. Back in 2000 my grandpa passed away from Lou Gehrig's Disease. I remember how frustrating it was for her to have to go through all of that with my grandpa. It seems like it was years before he was even diagnosed. He passed away shortly after.

Grandma Ida did remarry later, and unfortunately her husband Arch recently passed away unexpectedly. I can only imagine how hard it would be to loose my grandpa, but it would also be very hard to loose Arch.

On of the things I want to remember about my grandma is how active she has always been. Ever since I can remember she'd go walking every morning. And before it was even "cool" to recycle she'd take her bag with her and collect aluminum cans. I think over all the years she's been doing that she has made over a thousand dollars? Something crazy like that!

She's always been a very involved grandparent. I always LOVED looking forward to sleepovers with her because we would have so much fun. We'd get to play with all her things. I remember her having a bocce ball set....we didn't even know how to play....but we'd roll those balls down the patio stairs in her backyard. And she had a doll house that was to dye for! But of all my memories grandma Ida my favorite has to be the way she reads books. We could listen to her for hours reading books. Actually Katy could listen to me for hours reading books so maybe I got some of my good story telling abilities from her! At least I'd like to think so.

Katy and I decided to go visit her after we went to the safety fair a few weeks ago. We had a great time. We even got to read some books!

Katy was very tired from all the running around we'd been doing up to that point, but she enjoyed every minute of my grandmothers book reading....


I LOVE this picture. Does this not put a picture to the kind of reader she is? Very expressive! Katy is eating it all up!



Grandma Ida works her magic again! We can't wait to read books again soon!

6 comments:

T.Irwin said...

I love these pictures and the entry altogether!!

Campbell Clan said...

So sweet! You are so lucky that your Grandma is here to share Katy with you. :)

Britney said...

What a sweet post and pictures!!! Makes me want to visit Grandma at her house right now!

Nicole and Kevin said...

I absolutely love those pictures. I wish I had some like that with Oakley's great-grandparents! I also wish Oakley would let me read to her, she does not have the patients for it.

I hate it when I go to a Jazz game and am surrounded by fans of the opposing team, it seriously infuriates me! I refuse to go to Lakers games for that very reason! Anyways, good job on selecting a Williams jersey. We got Oakley a Williams jersey and are a little annoyed that we really can't use it anymore (I agree it was a good thing to trade him as well).

I think I am going to buy a sewing machine - you have inspired me. I might need you to teach me how to tread it :)

Finally (this is a long comment) - let's go do something soon. I saw that you went to the zoo recently, but I think we should take advantage of one of these warmer days to take our girls somewhere fun outside!

Randi said...

awww! isnt that the sweetest?

Kerry said...

Oh so sweet! Making memories...