Saturday, March 5, 2011

Quilt-a-rific!!!

I am lucky that I have a pretty good excuse to be crafty sometimes. Britney signed us up for a machine quilting class the end of last year. Darn, I cant remember her name but she was great. I would go as far as saying that my SIL Heidi actually got me into quilting....she may not know that. I always loved all the CUTE quilts she seemed to whip up all the time. I remember she made her son a "reading quilt" when he was very young. I am not sure if I'm describing it very well...but I thought that was a very cleaver idea. I of course asked her to come along for the ride....since it was up in Brigham City with Britney.

Well if you will remember with me, Heidi had a bit of a spill last October and we were not sure where she would be in her recovery. She was hesitant to sign up. Luckily there was a spot in the class still and she ended up coming anyway (and is I guess pretty much fully recovered!).

We had a blast! We learned a lot of techniques for machine quilting. There are patterns you can use or you can go it freehand. Pretty much all you need is a darning foot for your sewing machine. And MAN do I wish I would have had one of these on the last quilt I finished!!!! It's so weird to have free reign to go anywhere you want to go and not be limited by a presser foot! Really go get one and see what you come up with. I still have a lot of practicing to do but I am glad I had the exposure to that. Cant wait to see what I come up with!

Totally fun, and kind of scary....I am writing the rules now!

Heidi found out she may have a good excuse to get a new machine. She got a really great machine quilting frame for Christmas and found out that her machine wont work with it! Oh darn :)

Strike a pose there's nothing to it! Britney is posing with the quilting gloves we got to try. Britney actually made me some that I am excited to try!!!! (thanks for the pictures Brit..I totally forgot my camera!)

I will leave you with my last sewing project...the one I wish I knew all this stuff for! I got the chance to make a quilt for my cousins shower. I was also able to make a diaper case and some burp clothes too, with my scraps. I love a good excuse to have something to sew! This is a variation on the quilt I made Katy....it's amazing how different something can look depending on what materials you choose to use!


Happy quilting! Another good excuse to CREATE!

4 comments:

Ellingson's said...

wow, you are amazing! I wish that could just rub off on me... I don't have a creative bone in my body!!

Michelle Schmidt said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! I hope you had a wonderful day, weekend, month enjoying your fabulous self! Love the diaper case. That is my next project that I want to do. I think about it every single day when I pull a diaper out of my purse. Sewing night?!?

Britney said...

LOVED having you and Heidi come "class" with me! Now I just need to find time to practice.

Lance and Em said...

Amy: YOU ARE AWESOME! I love this quilting stuff... way to go.

Em